Samstag, 8. Mai 2010

Kalbarri you’ll love it


That’s what the town says and it’s true: we loved it!!! Kabarri is about 600 km north of Perth and already feels tropical. Everybody in Margaret River was telling us about that place, because obviously everyone goes there fort he Winter(surf)! On of the most famous days in OZ is breaking here: Jakes Point. That’s a proper reef setup, breaking sooooo close over the reff ledge, that it took Nick and me a week to face it! I’ll come back to that.one guy having fun, the other one will soon-Jakes Point

So we set up our base at Blue Holes car park. I mean, that was unreal (as you can see on the picture). After I put that pic on facebook I got plenty of comments. And honestly it’s probably better than Yallingup car park! As you can se, we park right in front of the lagoon/break. Easy swimming in the lagoon and awesome surf at the reef. We arrived when the waves has been quite small but with us a week of good medium size swells was just to come. We both had one of our best das surfing! The last big day we’been out in 4-5 meter waves, breaking clean, fast and barrelling. Some guys were towing in and Nick and we paddeled for the smaller ones. Man, I can tell you some of those beasts have just been intimidating. If you’d looked to the left into the barrel and this heavy lip throwing onto the reef, making a f*&%ing loud sound crashin onto the reef, uhhhhh, sick!!! Certainly one of the most remerable moments in my surfing life. And what was the best? You wouldn’t believe t but we surfed it most of the time by our selfs (and I me long 3-4 hour session in the morning offshores, glassy)!!!doing the usual thing, after a day surfing...the reef does't just hurt the boards...

As soon as the swell dropped we decided to go and surf Jakes. We’ve seen it on the bigger days and we both knew what it can be like. But on the smaller days it looked fun. And that’s what it was: big fun! Because of the special reef setup it’s a very mechanical wave, which seems to break always the same. So quite easy to get used to it, if you can handel the take off, wich leaves you looking onto almost bare rock (OK maybe 5 meters in front of you, haha)! Anyway, all I wanna say is: I’ve had a awesome time in Kalbarri!!!
Kalbarri National Park-what a view!!!

Ah, forgot something. We surfed with dolphins. Yes it happens very often that you see dolphins in the lineup but that close, unbelievable! On one wave I could see them unbeneath me going the same way I did on the wave. I thought I gonna hit them, or they me! That was so cool, absolutely amazing!!!

Keine Kommentare: